Wednesday, January 31, 2007

DAMMIT!


Another blog post down the drain. All because I tried to select all with ctrl-A. It's 11:30pm and I was cranky and tired anyway, and now I'm even more cranky and tired.

Today I went on a 'ladies who lunch' tour to a Babi Yar memorial for the 37,000 Jews who were murdered over a two-day period during WWII, and St Cyril's Monastery, which is an old, Kiev Rus period church with great artwork inside.


I know the following reasons don't really justify my crankiness, especially considering I went to a very sobering memorial for tens of thousands of murdered Jews and a church that was ruined by atheist-Soviets. But to sum up why I became cranky and tired:
  • Was late to the rendezvous point by 10 minutes because the buses and taxis wouldn't stop for me
  • Once with the group, we caught a zillion marshrutkas to get to St Cyril's, I'm not kidding. I hate those suspension-free-zone minivans
  • My toes froze about three times. I'm surprised they are still on my feet
  • I had two cameras. One of them is big and heavy and a pain to carry around. For most of the day, neither of them would work
  • After you have dwelt on the injustice of the previous point, imagine my annoyance when it turned out neither would work as a result of my own stupidity. One camera didn't have a battery in it. The other has a dead battery, and the spare was in the wrong place so I couldn't find it for the majority of the day
  • Got yelled at by a trolleybus full of Ukrainians for getting off at the wrong stop
  • After all of this, I had to go to the supermarket and purchase about 30kgs of groceries which I carried home on my back.

Add to the mix freezing cold temperatures - it was minus nine, and about minus 20 windchill. The final straw was blogger mysteriously deleting my long and descriptive blog post.

Grrr. Well, I've just finished taking out the double-spacing blogger inserted into this post when I uploaded the pics. It's time to go to bed.

How was your day?

3 comments:

enidd said...

nice photos!

Anonymous said...

is that the st. Cyril's church around which is all this scandal about painting over frescoes? I meant to go over there a while ago!

Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear Olechko. Yes, they uncovered frescoes that were covered with plaster years and years ago. And now they are repainting/restoring them. It does look beautiful all painted, considering the originals were all but ruined by the plastering. But obviously not authentic.